A non-exhaustive list of cruel, corrupt, and extreme actions taken by Republicans of late.
With so many overlapping global crises happening at once, and Democrats in charge of the Presidency and Congress, it’s especially hard to keep track of all the ways the US GOP continues to radicalize. This is partly by design. The cascade of oppressive laws and disinformation from Republican legislators and media is meant confuse and overwhelm. The following is a list of GOP and related far right news worth your attention.
- Jamelle Bouie, Ezra Klein, Jane Coaston and Lulu Garcia-Navarro discuss how the GOP fringe took over American politics for the New York Times.
- Gabriel Rosenberg, Duke Professor of Gender, Sexuality and Feminist Studies, wrote a Twitter thread about how the latest “groomer” panic is categorically different and more violent than what we’ve seen before.
- Writer Jude Doyle does a deep dive into the growing connections between anti-trans feminists and the far right. “It’s a grim irony that, by insisting on a ‘feminism’ without any trans women in it, TERFs have wound up constructing the tool by which fascists aim to destroy feminism altogether.”
- Roxanna Asgarian writes in NY Mag about how Texas became the most virulently anti-trans state in America, including directing the state’s child-welfare agency to conduct abuse investigations of parents who provide their children gender-affirming care.
- For the Editorial Board, Mia Brett writes about how Republicans are close to legalizing child marriage in Tennessee.
- Also in the Editorial Board, John Stoehr speaks with NYU Law Professor Melissa Murray about Ginni and Clarence Thomas and how their relationship affects perceptions about the Supreme Court’s legitimacy.
- The editorial board of the Boston Globe wants the January 6 Committee to subpoena Ginni Thomas already.
- Elie Mystal argues in The Nation that post-Roe, Republicans are coming for marriage equality next.
- Gerren Keith Gaynor interviews Preston Mitchum about the harm to Black LGBTQ youth of the “Don’t Say Gay” Laws.
- The Oregon GOP is running three QAnon and Proud Boy candidates.
- Trump admitted to speaking to key Republican figures at the time of the riot on 1/6. Greg Sargent argues that Merrick Garland should use this admission to launch a full investigation into Trump’s communications that day.
- Speaking of which, there are 7 hours missing from Trump’s phone records that day. Historian Tim Naftali writes in The Atlantic that Trump can’t just erase history like Nixon did.
- On the bright side, the DOJ plans to investigate the boxes of records Trump illegally brought with him to Mar a Lago.
- The Child Tax Credit expiring is pushing voters towards the GOP. Meanwhile the GOP plus Joe Manchin are why it expired in the first place.
Anna Lind-Guzik is Executive Director and founder of The Conversationalist. She is a writer, attorney and scholar of Soviet history, authoritarianism, feminism and human rights. She hosts the weekly podcast "Unbreaking Media" which examines politics and culture through an intersectional feminist lens. Follow her on Twitter @alindguzik.